Difference between revisions of "Scot Ackerman MakerSpace at Tulane University Wiki"
(→News and Updates)
(→Fall 2017 Hours)
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
===Fall 2017 Hours===
===Fall 2017 Hours===
'''We are closed until the start of the Fall semester, when our new Maker Ninjas will be available to help with projects. Click on "[[MakerSpace Access]]"
'''We are closed until the start of the Fall semester, when our new Maker Ninjas will be available to help with projects. Click on "[[MakerSpace Access]]" Labor Day to see our hours for Fall semester.'''
Revision as of 11:05, 28 July 2017
A MakerSpace has been described as new amalgam of art, craft, and technology. Our goal is to serve all makers, and potential makers, in the Tulane Community. We do so by providing tools, assistance, and ideas.
News and Updates
- We have started a Slack channel for the Tulane MakerSpace to post micro-updates and discussions. You can join by clicking here or the button at the bottom of the page.
- The Tulane MakerSpace was recently featured as part of a tour for the Board of Tulane. The tour was well-received and many board members enjoyed discussing projects and tools with Chase Schober and Olivia Michael.
- We have upgraded our 3d printing equipment and filaments, and can now report that (almost) all of our 3d printers are reliably creating beautiful prints and we haven't had a failed print in well over a month of heavy use.
- The 2017 Maker of the Year Awards were announced on April 18. The winners of cash prizes are Chase Schober and Rae Mills. Scroll down to see their winning submissions.
- On April 12, 2017 Tulane's PR Office sent out a press release featuring a photo of Cody O'Cain's 3-d cosine map
- The March '17 TULANIAN magazine features the MakerSpace on pages 5, 7, and 11 of the print edition (pages 7, 9, and 13 in the electronic version).
- MakerSpace Digital Library is now available in the mezzanine area of the MakerSpace.
- The Hullabaloo (2/9/2017) reports on the MakerSpace as a place for collaboration
- Please watch our new (1/24/2017) video, featuring Maker Ninjas Afsheen, Ben, and Elise.
- And while you have a YouTube window open, check out the video of Tulane University's 2016/17 grand prize winning team submission to NASA's BIG Idea Challenge MakerSpace users designed and built a scale prototype for a modular spacecraft intended to ferry cargo spacecraft from Low Earth Orbit (LEO) To Lunar-Distant Retrograde Orbit (LDRO). MakerSpace Advisor Prof. Schuler was the team's mentor.
- IDIYA Labs is hosting a professional development workshop in the MakerSpace during the following dates: https://idiyalabs.com/teacher-training/
- June 12-16
- June 19-23
- July 10-14
- July 17-21
Maker of the Year
The 2017 Maker of the Year Award, funded by a generous gift from Lary Walker (G ’76, ’79) was announced on April 18. This year's co-winners were Chase Schober (Engineering Physics) and Rae Mills (Computer Science and Studio Art).
Fall 2017 Hours
We are closed until the start of the Fall semester, when our new Maker Ninjas will be available to help with projects. We will re-open on September 5, 2017. Click on "MakerSpace Access" shortly before Labor Day to see our hours for Fall semester.
We've upgraded our bending brake to a 48" model, replacing the old 24" Pexto. Over the Mardi Gras break, we installed a Tormach Slant-Pro CNC lathe to complement our Tormach CNC milling machine. One of the Ultimaker 2 3D printers was upgraded to a 2+; the other two Ultimakers will get the upgrade as well. (NOTE: All Ultimakers have now been upgraded to 2+ models.)
Other recent additions include a Buehler 12" surface grinder, two Autodesk Ember SLA printers, a Jet horizontal band saw and a 36" Eastwood blast cabinet with glass bead media were installed. The vertical mill was converted to a precision drill press. In addition, we've added a Rockler horizontal clamping system to one of the benches near the CNC Mill.
Architecture Laser Cutter
The School of Architecture's large format laser cutters are available to MakerSpace users. Currently they charge $10/hour ($3 minimum) for machine time; payable with Splash card or check. They have extended operating hours. Go to http://architecture.tulane.edu/dol/reserve-laser to schedule time on one of their three 36"x18" laser cutters. File formats are PDF or Illustrator. As with our Epilog laser cutters, use a line width of 0.001" to vector cut. Be sure to set your document size to their bed size of 36"x18" which is different from the bed size of the Epilogs. Bring your material and files (on a USB drive) to room 104 of Richardson Memorial Hall; student workers are there to help you get set up.
Links on this Wiki
- Hours, location, and contact information.
- A list of software programs that are available to students, with notes on their use.
- Links and information concerning the available rapid prototyping tools, including information on training and safety.
- Information and links to training documents concerning fixed (not handheld) power tools and processes.
- A list of handheld tools(including some handheld power tools) that Makers can expect to find in the workshops. The list is a general snapshot and will not be a detailed/comprehensive inventory.
- Tools and equipment for measurement of various properties.
- Supplies on hand at the MakerSpace, and where to find them.
- Information about suppliers and other online resources.
- Samples of projects and instructions for doing them yourself.
- Access the digital library for MakerSpace books and resources
- Examples of projects built in the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Information on those involved in building, managing, and improving the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Connect with the Tulane Makers and Robotics Society.
- Methods for supporting the Tulane MakerSpace
The New Orleans Maker Community
New Orleans has a long history of artistic creation, and that creativity is now expressed in a vibrant maker community. The Tulane MakerSpace is proud to be a part of this community. Other members include
- IDIYA, the community MakerSpace
- Makers of N.O., local Makers group
- The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire
- The Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball