Difference between revisions of "Scot Ackerman MakerSpace at Tulane University Wiki"
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
*Prof. Tim Schuler organized a short course for faculty who want to use the MakerSpace. Another [http://news.tulane.edu/news/role-reversal Tulane News story] captured Maker Ninja Kaleb Branch helping the participants learn to use the laser cutter.
*Our Make48 team, featured in [https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/communities/crescent_city/article_5a6c0152-a4b6-11e8-9170-379884489c37.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share The
*Our Make48 team, featured in [https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/communities/crescent_city/article_5a6c0152-a4b6-11e8-9170-379884489c37.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share The Advocate] and in this [https://news.tulane.edu/pr/tulane-team-picked-invention-reality-show-%E2%80%98make48%E2%80%99 Tulane News story], is back from the competition in Baltimore. The TV show won't air until Fall 2019, so we can't say how they placed, but they are proud of their accomplishments.
*The Maker of the Year Award recipient for 2018 is Nathan Nguyen. Scroll down to the photo of his winning submission.
Revision as of 01:49, 2 September 2018
A MakerSpace has been described as new amalgam of art, craft, and technology. Our goal is to serve all makers, and potential makers, in the Tulane Community. We do so by providing tools, assistance, and ideas. Commercial use of the MakerSpace is not allowed. If in doubt, questions about interpretation should be directed to the Director before a project is started.
Where are we?
When are we open?
Click on "MakerSpace Access" to see our hours of operation.
News and Updates
- Prof. Tim Schuler organized a short course for faculty who want to use the MakerSpace. Another Tulane News story captured Maker Ninja Kaleb Branch helping the participants learn to use the laser cutter.
- Our Make48 team, featured in The New Orleans Advocate and in this Tulane News story, is back from the competition in Baltimore. The TV show won't air until Fall 2019, so we can't say how they placed, but they are proud of their accomplishments.
- The Maker of the Year Award recipient for 2018 is Nathan Nguyen. Scroll down to the photo of his winning submission.
- Tulane has been chosen as one of 12 schools participating in the Make48 College Challenge. Team members were announced on April 11. They are Luke Artzt (JR ENGP), Matthew Nice (SR BMEN), Kyra Rubinstein (FR BMEN) and Jesse Williams (SR ARCH). They will compete in Baltimore in mid-August
- Maker Ninja Chase Schober and Addie Duncan are featured in the April 11 Tulane New Wave.
- MakerSpace user Josh Ballagh has been building cosplay weapons in anticipation of Geek Week. His creations are featured in a Tulane PR story.
- To help K-12 schools in the region grow their MakerSpaces, we're leading an effort bring teachers together starting with Tulane's.
- We have yet another new 3D printer. This one's a Monoprice IIIP Mini Delta. For $160, the print quality is quite good. It uses a special version of Cura, available on the computer next to the Carvey. Here's the manual
- Riptide and President Fitts visited the MakerSpace to present the President's Award for Team Excellence to the MakerSpace Leadership Team.
- The Annual Report of the School of Science and Engineering featured two stories about generous donors to the MakerSpace.
- Our new 3D printer, a Prusa MK3 has arrived and it's set up to run. Instead of Cura, use PrusaControl on the PC next to the Carvey. Build volume is z=9.84" x=8.3" y=8.3" and the manual is here
- The MakerSpace is featured in the launch for Tulane's $1.3B fund raising campaign. Chase Schober, one of our Ninjas, is seen in the video and the web site mentions the NASA team in the MakerSpace.
- A new video, featuring Maker Ninja Antonius Prader, was produced by the Office of Admission. Shout-out to Justin Baris for organizing this.
- We have purchased a Carvey and a Formlabs SLA printer. Both are available to users with Digital-2_Training credentials.
- A 30-second video, featuring the NASA team, was filmed in the MakerSpace.
- The Tulane MakerSpace was recently featured as part of a tour for the Board of Tulane. The tour was well-received and many board members enjoyed discussing projects and tools with Chase Schober and Olivia Michael.
- We have upgraded our 3d printing equipment and filaments, and can now report that (almost) all of our 3d printers are reliably creating beautiful prints and we haven't had a failed print in well over a month of heavy use.
- The 2017 Maker of the Year Awards were announced on April 18. The winners of cash prizes are Chase Schober and Rae Mills. Scroll down to see their winning submissions.
- On April 12, 2017 Tulane's PR Office sent out a press release featuring a photo of Cody O'Cain's 3-d cosine map
- The March '17 TULANIAN magazine features the MakerSpace on pages 5, 7, and 11 of the print edition (pages 7, 9, and 13 in the electronic version).
- MakerSpace Digital Library is now available in the mezzanine area of the MakerSpace.
- The Hullabaloo (2/9/2017) reports on the MakerSpace as a place for collaboration
- Please watch our new (1/24/2017) video, featuring Maker Ninjas Afsheen, Ben, and Elise.
The 2018 New Orleans Mini Maker Faire will be on April 21 at Delgado Community College. Featuring drone races and some outrageous and beautiful projects, admission is heavily discounted with a Tulane student ID.
Maker of the Year
The 2018 Maker of the Year Award, funded by a generous gift from Lary Walker (G ’76, ’79) is presented to Nathan Nguyen (Biomedical Engineering).
Nathan described his work: "This is the family tree I made my grandparents for Christmas. It’s organized so that my grandparents are located at the base of the tree as they are the foundation for my family. The tree branches out into 8 gold flowers representing my parents and aunts and uncles’ generation and eventually into silver flowers representing their corresponding children. Finally, the tree is surrounded by a quote that says, 'Our family is like branches on a tree. We may grow in different directions. Yet our roots remain the same.'”
Architecture Laser Cutter
Links on this Wiki
- Hours, location, and contact information.
- Policy on fabrication projects for Tulane clients
- Links and information concerning the tools we have in the MakerSpace, grouped by category.
- Information on safety procedures and training, plus links to instruction manuals for equipment.
- A list of software programs that are available to students, with notes on their use.
- Supplies on hand at the MakerSpace, and where to find them.
- Information about suppliers and other online resources.
- Samples of projects and instructions for doing them yourself.
- Access the digital library for MakerSpace books and resources
- Examples of projects built in the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Information on those involved in building, managing, and improving the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Connect with the Tulane Makers and Robotics Society.
- Methods for supporting the Tulane MakerSpace
The New Orleans Maker Community
- FabLab NOLA, at Delgado Community College, open to the community
- Entrescan, professional advanced manufacturing services.
- Realized Designs, professional design and production studio
- Makers of N.O., local Makers group
- The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire
- The Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball