Scot Ackerman MakerSpace at Tulane University Wiki
A MakerSpace has been described as new amalgam of art, craft, and technology. Our goal is to serve all makers, and potential makers, in the Tulane Community. We do so by providing tools, assistance, and ideas.
News and Updates
On April 12, 2017 Tulane's PR Office sent out a press release featuring a photo of Cody O'Cain's 3-d cosine map
The March '17 TULANIAN magazine features the MakerSpace on pages 5, 7, and 11 of the print edition (pages 7, 9, and 13 in the electronic version).
We have a LISTSERV mailing list for MakerSpace users. Instructions to send mail or read archives are here
Maker of the Year applications are now being accepted. More information below.
MakerSpace Digital Library is now available in the mezzanine area of the MakerSpace.
The Hullabaloo (2/9/2017) reports on the MakerSpace as a place for collaboration
Please watch our new (1/24/2017) video, featuring Maker Ninjas Afsheen, Ben, and Elise.
The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 10am-5pm at Delgado Community College’s Student Life Center, 916 Navarre Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119. Check out their video. Tulane students get free admission with their Tulane ID card. The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire is one of dozens of worldwide events affiliated with Make: Magazine.
Click on "MakerSpace Access" to see our hours for Spring semester.
We've upgraded our bending brake to a 48" model, replacing the old 24" Pexto. Over the Mardi Gras break, we installed a Tormach Slant-Pro CNC lathe to complement our Tormach CNC milling machine. One of the Ultimaker 2 3D printers was upgraded to a 2+; the other two Ultimakers will get the upgrade as well. The upgrade kits are on back-order, however.
Other recent additions include a Buehler 12" surface grinder, two Autodesk Ember SLA printers, a Jet horizontal band saw and a 36" Eastwood blast cabinet with glass bead media were installed. The vertical mill was converted to a precision drill press. In addition, we've added a Rockler horizontal clamping system to one of the benches near the CNC Mill.
The Maker of the Year Award, funded by a generous gift from Lary Walker (G ’76, ’79) will be presented on April 25, 2017. Submission deadline is April 15, 2017. Instructions are here: http://makerspace.tulane.edu/images/5/5a/2017_Maker_Space_Award.pdf
The inaugural Spring '16 award was presented to Afsheen Sajjadi (SSE'19). His independently designed truss, fabricated on the Maker Space laser cutter, impressed the Award judges, and also Prof. Raymond, his instructor in ENGP1410. Afsheen is now a Maker Ninja in the Maker Space.
Links on this Wiki
- Hours, location, and contact information.
- A list of software programs that are available to students, with notes on their use.
- Links and information concerning the available rapid prototyping tools, including information on training and safety.
- Information and links to training documents concerning fixed (not handheld) power tools and processes.
- A list of handheld tools(including some handheld power tools) that Makers can expect to find in the workshops. The list is a general snapshot and will not be a detailed/comprehensive inventory.
- Tools and equipment for measurement of various properties.
- Supplies on hand at the MakerSpace, and where to find them.
- Information about suppliers and other online resources.
- Samples of projects and instructions for doing them yourself.
- Access the digital library for MakerSpace books and resources
- Examples of projects built in the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Information on those involved in building, managing, and improving the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Connect with the Tulane Makers and Robotics Society.
- Methods for supporting the Tulane MakerSpace
The New Orleans Maker Community
- IDIYA, the community MakerSpace
- Makers of N.O., local Makers group
- The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire
- The Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball