Scot Ackerman MakerSpace at Tulane University Wiki
A MakerSpace has been described as new amalgam of art, craft, and technology. Our goal is to serve all makers, and potential makers, in the Tulane Community. We do so by providing tools, assistance, and ideas. A discussion of the history and possible future of maker spaces can be found here
Maker of the Year
The Maker of the Year Award, funded by a generous gift from Lary Walker (G ’76, ’79)  will be presented to Afsheen Sajjadi SSE'19. His independently designed truss, fabricated on the Maker Space laser cutter, impressed the Award judges, and also his instructor in ENGP1410. Afsheen will be helping as a Maker Ninja in the Maker Space when we re-open in Fall 2016.
Closing of Maker Space
The last day of operation will be Tuesday April 26. That's the last day of classes. Demolition begins that day, and equipment will be placed in storage until we re-open in Fall 2016. If this presents an insurmountable hardship, be sure to let Dr. Walker know.
- Hours, location, and contact information.
- A list of software programs that are available to students, with notes on their use.
- Links and information concerning the available rapid prototyping tools, including information on training and safety.
- Information and links to training documents concerning fixed (not handheld) power tools and processes.
- A list of handheld tools(including some handheld power tools) that Makers can expect to find in the workshops. The list is a general snapshot and will not be a detailed/comprehensive inventory.
- Information about suppliers and other online resources.
- Samples of projects and instructions for doing them yourself.
- Access the didgital library for MakerSpace Books and Resources
- Examples of projects built in the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Information on those involved in building, managing, and improving the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Methods for supporting the Tulane MakerSpace
The New Orleans Maker Community
New Orleans has a long history of artistic creation, and that creativity is now expressed in a vibrant maker community. The Tulane MakerSpace is proud to be a part of this community. Other members include
- IDIYA, the community MakerSpace
- The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire
- The Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball