Scot Ackerman MakerSpace at Tulane University Wiki
A MakerSpace has been described as new amalgam of art, craft, and technology. Our goal is to serve all makers, and potential makers, in the Tulane Community. We do so by providing tools, assistance, and ideas. A discussion of the history and possible future of maker spaces can be found here
News and Updates
Fall 2016 Hours
Click on "MakerSpace Access" at left to see the location of our entrance. The last day of operation this semester is the last day of classes, 12/6/16.
Users with urgent needs for access during the Winter Break should contact Prof. Walker email@example.com or Prof. Schuler firstname.lastname@example.org. A new door to Engineering Road will be installed in early January, and there will be no access available during the installation.
More 3d Printers Coming
We expect a third Lulzbot Taz 5 by December 1, and an Autodesk Ember SLA printer will be here at the start of Spring '17.
Maker of the Year
The Maker of the Year Award, funded by a generous gift from Lary Walker (G ’76, ’79) will be presented in Spring '17. If you've designed and built something awesome, please take lots of photos and hold them until we announce the entry process.
The inaugural Spring '16 award was presented to Afsheen Sajjadi (SSE'19). His independently designed truss, fabricated on the Maker Space laser cutter, impressed the Award judges, and also Prof. Raymond, his instructor in ENGP1410. Afsheen is now a Maker Ninja in the Maker Space.
Links on this Wiki
- Hours, location, and contact information.
- A list of software programs that are available to students, with notes on their use.
- Links and information concerning the available rapid prototyping tools, including information on training and safety.
- Information and links to training documents concerning fixed (not handheld) power tools and processes.
- A list of handheld tools(including some handheld power tools) that Makers can expect to find in the workshops. The list is a general snapshot and will not be a detailed/comprehensive inventory.
- Supplies on hand at the MakerSpace, and where to find them.
- Information about suppliers and other online resources.
- Samples of projects and instructions for doing them yourself.
- Access the digital library for MakerSpace books and resources
- Examples of projects built in the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Information on those involved in building, managing, and improving the Tulane MakerSpace.
- Methods for supporting the Tulane MakerSpace
The New Orleans Maker Community
New Orleans has a long history of artistic creation, and that creativity is now expressed in a vibrant maker community. The Tulane MakerSpace is proud to be a part of this community. Other members include
- IDIYA, the community MakerSpace
- Makers of N.O., local Makers group
- The New Orleans Mini Maker Faire
- The Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball